Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A Summer of Painting

Well, sort of.  It's been a busy summer.  I've kept working on my Imperial Fists for the most part, but I've been busy with things other than painting.  No complaints, it's certainly been fun.  I'm going to try to go in a loose chronological order.

Legion Breacher/Phalanx Warder Squad with Praetor

In terms of loadouts, it's not the most interesting Phalanx Warder Squad (2 Meltaguns and Boltguns), but it does the job for a Troop choice for 30K or 40K.  I was fortunate in that I came across a bunch of the shields from the Phalanx Warder kits.  One of the things that attracted me to the Imperial Fists was their appearance with the breaching shields.  It's one of those aesthetics that just looks good and certainly fits with the science fantasy aspect of Warhammer 30K/40K.


Next up came two additional Sergeants in Mk IV armour as well as a Primaris Medicae to bulk out the Breacher Squads I already had.  The Sergeants are all magnetized with pretty much all of the weapon options available on the plastic sprues (no Plasma Pistols yet, but I'll probably add one for completeness). 

The Primaris Medicae is a kitbash of Mk IV armour (also magnetized), the Narthecium army from the Command Squad box, the cryo storage capsules from the Grey Knight Terminator kit and the Chirugeon from the Fabius Bile blister.

I weathered all of these models fairly heavily since these are the front line troops taking fire.  I used similar measures with my 'leading from the front' HQ's.





The 30th Anniversary Space Marine is just a nice model.  Interesting detail and lots of cabling, which is a look that I enjoy.  For this model, I haven't applied much in the way of weathering (just some heat staining on the gun barrel) since I'm still a bit unsure as to what sort of unit this model is going to be included with.  Once I answer that question, I'm planning to weather the model to match the unit it goes with.




The Captain Lysander model is a similar situation.  The model is ready for the tabletop, but I'm planning to apply weathering to it once I build a squad of Terminators to go with him.

Next I went for some long range first support in the form of a Devastator Squad with Lascannons.  No weathering has been applied yet since these definitely fit the definition of a stand off unit.





From the Devastators, I moved on to three Chaplains (It was originally intended to be four, but the model with the jump pack required additional stripping to deal with the thick primer on the model.  Sometimes, eBay purchases require work).  I weathered the combat surfaces of these pretty heavily and went from there.  LeMartes was added in for a friend since I was using a similar palate for the three models.





And my latest group completed was my Legionaries with Missile Launchers to form a second Devastator Squad.  Weathering here is more or less the same as the Lascannon Devastators.


So, at the end of the summer, I've gathered up a descent selection of Imperial Fists.  It's far from complete and there are portions which are going to need to be repainted (specifically the Mk III Breachers and the Storm Talons at this point), which I rather expected as I worked more and more with yellow.  I'm also at the point where basing and storage are going to have to be handled before too long.

Next up is going to be a mix.  I've additional Mk IV marines to put on the table in addition to a Cataphractii Captain, Jump Pack Chaplain, Techmarine and a Chaplain Dreadnought as well as my Knight Errant Titan to finish up.  I also need to start looking at transport for the models I have, which is probably going to consist largely of Drop Pods.  To compound matters, I'm also starting a Mars Pattern Warhound Titan for a friend of mine.  So, it should be an interesting autumn.



Warhound Titan Commission

So, I took time off of my stuff to do something really big. Adam bought himself a Mars Pattern Warhound Titan and I got to paint it.  You ...